How Much House Can You Afford
Use this simple formula to determine how much you can afford to spend on a house.
1. Multiply your monthly income before taxes by 36% (.36). (You multiply by .36 because lenders limit total monthly expenses to 36% of your monthly pre-tax income)
- Property taxes for the home you want
- Homeowner’s Insurance
- Credit Cards
- Car loans
- School loans
- Any other debts you have
3. This amount is what your maximum monthly mortgage payment can be.
4. Multiply by 12 (for months in a year) This is what your total annual mortgage payment can be.
5. Divide by the current interest rate. This total is the maximum mortgage you will qualify for.
6. Add your down payment.
This total is the approximate amount you can comfortably spend on a home.
* NOTE * This is only a preliminary estimate
If you need to know more please contact a lender: